Monday, May 2, 2022

Research first... or so I thought. Let's write a book!

To continue our talk on writing, the first part of researching is taking the first step to being a writer. To do this, I needed to research what type of writer I wanted to be. I want to write books, but I'd also like to see what other careers in writing I can do to support my book income. That way, I could write a book as well as continue writing. 


I started with the first place everyone goes, and that's Google. (Thankful for Google!) A basic search of "what type of writing jobs are there" provided many results, especially compared to 15-20 years ago. There are many more options today than there were back then. A social media content writer for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok ( I'm sure Myspace would have been on there when it was more active.) Social media content writers didn't exist long ago. Blogging is still huge, and even this blog has technically been in existence for almost ten years, even if there isn't ten years worth of content. 

There are quite a few jobs that were either not well known or not in existence, without word of mouth, twenty years ago. It makes resources much easier to find these opportunities with the internet as it is today.

So as I'm trying to narrow down what interests me and be what I feel I would be proficient in, it occurs to me that I am starting almost back at square one. It feels like I have no idea what I'm doing now, specifically on knowing where to look for jobs. I've been looking up writers for beginners, whereas when I was in college, I was making top marks, was very proficient, and said I would go far. Time has passed at almost twenty years since I've been out of school, but the amount I have written is slim. I would write in papers, write poetry constantly, write songs from the top of my head, and even role-play scripts with friends that I'd make up at the drop of a hat. 

Currently, I write transcripts where I work and write curriculums for my kid's homeschool. I will write short stories here and there when I have the time between everything else I've been doing, but I haven't made it a priority. I realize that I can still write. It's just not the same genre. I now remember where I started, which is scary, so I sit down and look up children's books that I want to write, but for what age group? 

Most of the genres of books that I want to write are in the teenage young adult fantasy area, but I also love young children's books. But why? What is appealing about young children's books that attract so many people? The colors? The characters? The lessons? Does the child realize that they are learning a lesson? A moral. There's almost always a "moral of the story" in every book that you read. So I sit down at the table and write. Within the hour, I've written a children's book; aimed at children aged between two to six. I remember why I love to write. Don't get me wrong, there are probably a few things that need fixing, but now I remember why I love to write. Now my mind is going a mile a minute thinking of a whole series of these children's books that I could create just based on this character. I'm suddenly thinking of other children's books that I could write. More and more and more! Now my mind doesn't stop: I have a set of characters for each one and a whole layout of books. I need to slow down when the first book doesn't even have an illustrator yet.


That still leaves one problem. It doesn't help me figure out what type of writing job I want. Now I know I want to be an author. That dream has never changed. Unfortunately, though, at this moment, that dream won't pay the bills, and until it does, I need a job. I currently have one, but not on my career path.

I want to be a writer. No, correction. I am a writer. That's the perspective I need to have and continue to think. 


I am a writer. 

Say it with me; because I know that the people who are reading this blog right now are also trying to start a career in writing or are on a different career path. Start by saying what you are.  


I am a writer. 

That is what I must ask you.

Are you a dancer?

An artist? 

Say: I am a dancer. I am an artist. 

I am a writer. 

Again, what are you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment