Sunday, October 20, 2013

Creating a circle skirt - Tutorial

I created a skirt for a little girls first birthday party, and while I was pleased with it... it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be.
I figured the easiest type of skirt would be a bubble skirt, and I had this AWESOME fabric that looked and felt JUST like Elmo!
We still don't know what this fabric is called... so we'll call it "cuddle, knit, minky, fur, costume fabric" It's very soft and stretchy and light. While this is a great type of fabric to work with for skirts... this particular fabric was NOT. 


The little girl I was creating this for had an 18 inch waist and wanted a 9 in length. So I went "old school". I took a pencil, on a string and did the circumference. In hindsight, I would FOLD the fabric in fourths first. I had a teacher in 8th grade who used to say MAKE MATH SIMPLE! So I will also try to explain that part as such. In my steps, I will include an EASIER way to do it AND the way I did it if there is both.

Materials:
1 yard of fabric
Elastic for waist. I used actual waist band elastic. There are two ways to do the elastic and I'll include both. I found the way I did mine easier. BUT that's your call.
Ruler
Pencil
Fabric Marker
Iron
Sewing Machine
String (Optional)
Tracing paper/regular paper (Optional)

Steps: 


 1. Get your measurements. (Ie 18in waist, 9in length)

2. There is a "formula" for the skirt measurements., but in all simplicity to get the circumference, you need to Waist (18in),  + 2 (so 20) divided by 6.28.
so (18+2) / 6.28 = 3.18 inches

3. What would have been easier: On your tracing paper, put the ruler at the corner, Measure (3.18 inches) all the way around the corner. We are creating this in fourths, so it will be easier.
    What I did. I took a pencil and the fabric marker and added the string to it 3.18 in apart. I then drew on the actual fabric in a full circle. Sounds easy right? You do not get a straight circle unless you have a really steady hand.

4. Now you need the length. You want to take the desired length and add 2 inches for the hem. (top and bottom) If you do the elastic the opposite way I did, you do not need as much as a hem on the top. So measure accordingly.
   What would have been easier: Measure 11 inches (9+2) with your ruler on the tracing paper just like you did the waist measurement. Mark 11 in from the edge of the waist markings.
   What I did: From the center of the skirt, I measured 11 in out on the fabric and drew all the way around. You can now cut out your fabric on your lines. If you do this, skip step 5.

5. What would have been easier: Fold your fabric into fourths. Cut out your pattern, which looks like 1/4 of a donut. On the fold of your fabric, put the pattern down and trace onto the fabric. Cut out the fabric. You will have 1/4 of a donut, unfold once and you have a semi circle and unfold all the way and you will have a full circle. (Duh, I know)




6. At the bottom of the skirt measure 1 inch on the bottom all the way around and pin. Take your iron and iron the hem down. It will make it easier to sew. Sew all the way around. Iron the seam.

7. Do the same thing in step 6 to the top, except leave an opening for the elastic to go in. Take a safety pin and attach to the elastic which is waist plus an inch. (so 19inch in my case) and thread through the opening, pulling out the other side. If your model is available, pin the other side on the safety pin, try on your model and adjust the waist. If it fits, tack (sew together) and sew the hole closed. Iron the seam.
ALTERNATIVE. Instead of sewing the elastic inside the hole, you can get thick colorful elastic and just add to the inside top of the skirt. So the elastic will be touching the skin. 


8. Hold the skirt up and feel accomplished, you've just made a circle skirt!




Also use as a poncho!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment